New Teacher Spotlight: Mr. Bamlett – Spanish

KANG TV News

Alexander Glidden, KANG TV Correspondent

Here at LWHS, we have many teachers who joined this year, who haven’t had time to introduce themselves to the school. So, we are continuing our work on interviewing new teachers to get their voice and personality out. Alexander Glidden did interview with Mr. Bamlett, a Spanish teacher in the 3 East.

Alexander Glidden (AG): Hello Mr. Bamlett, How are you doing today?

Christopher Bamlett (CB): I’m doing well, thank you for asking.

AG: What is your goal as a teacher?

CB: My primary goal as a teacher is to convince students that they can, in fact, learn, and to have to the confidence to try.

AG: On the subject of confidence, what would you say to students who are afraid of taking language classes in general?

CB: I would say that language classes don’t have to be scary, and part of that is the natural companionship that you build with other students in class. We are all learning and making mistakes together, that’s how we grow. You’ll have fun practicing the language knowing that you’re with someone who is also nervous, and you can grow together!

AG What are your Hobbies?

CB: I play a lot of videogames, mostly on PS4 or PC. My favorite game of all time is Bloodborne. I also like to read books about teaching and grading, and I like going on mindful nature walks!

This use of the photo is within rights of Fair Use, All rights to FromSoftware

AG: Do you incorporate your hobbies in your teaching?

CB: I try to incorporate my hobbies, and the hobbies of students, into teaching. The cool thing about Spanish, or any world language, is that once you get a basic grasp of vocab and grammar you can pretty much talk about whatever you want, so it’s easier to get students to talk about their hobbies and interests and still be relevant to class.

AG: Nice! I have three questions on the topic of your hobbies. 1. Where do like to walk to? 2. What is your favorite lesson that you learned from those books? And 3. What are you playing currently.

The Hoh Rainforest

This use of the photo is within rights of Fair Use, All rights to The Seattle Times

CB: I usually like forests such as Hoh Rainforest, but my absolute favorite place to walk is the beach. The best lesson I have learnt from these books is how old grading practices can actually be really harmful to students’ learning, and I want to do my best to change that. Currently, I am playing Bloodborne (of course) but also, I’m playing Resident Evil: Village with my husband!

This use of the photo is within rights of Fair Use, All rights to Capcom

AG: What’s one thing students might be surprised to learn about you?

CB: I was officially enrolled in an all-girls Catholic school back in the UK, despite being neither a girl nor Catholic.

AB: Wow, sounds like quite the story, mind elaborating on it? It’s fine if not.

CB: *inhale*

Back when I was in high school in the UK (we call it Secondary School) I graduated at 16. Back then, you could graduate early if you had a plan for further education or training. In the UK, they offered two years of “college prep” called 6th Form, over the course of which you would earn A-Levels, certificates of competency in a subject that would help get you into university. I wanted to take both Spanish and French at the same time, but my school didn’t offer both. For my first year of 6th Form, I went to an all-boys Catholic school and took a shuttle to the sister school in the same city in order to keep French. However, during the following year they had shifted the schedules and classes around and I could no longer merely shuttle bus over to the all-girls school. I had to enroll.

What you need to understand is that there are no “6th Form schools”. The 6th Form is kind of a shadowy alternative schedule that exists within secondary schools. I guess the best analogy I could give is: it would be like taking running start classes AT high school, not a college, but you’d still be around highschoolers.

Anyway, for the 6th Form both the religious and gender requirements were waived. We used to have female students enrolled in the all-boys school because of the classes we offered, so it wasn’t unusual for this to happen the other way around. Since most of my classes were at the all-girls school for my second year of 6th Form, I had to enroll there instead.

AB: Jeez, I’m one of your students and even that surprised me. That’s all the questions I have, Thank you for sharing!

CB: No Problem! Thank you for having me!

If you know of any teachers that joined LWHS this year, contact us at: [email protected]