The Pouch: Black Female Figures

Katie Davis, The Pouch

Amanda Gorman

Amanda Gorman, born March 7th, 1988, is an American activist and the first National Youth Poet Laureate known for her works that address black identity, climate change, and feminism. She began writing to help overcome a speech impediment and is best known for her poem “The Hill We Climb,” which she recited at the presidential inauguration of Joe Biden.
She is the youngest inaugural poet in U.S. history.

Rashida Jones 

Rashida Jones, born in 1980, is an American television executive. In high school, she was the editor of her student newspaper, and later, she went on to major in broadcast journalism at Hampton University. She became the president of the cable news network MSNBC on February 1st, 2021, and is the first black woman to lead a cable news network.

Nia DaCosta

Nia DaCosta is an American screenwriter and film director who was born on November 8th, 1989, in New York City. At a young age, she became interested in film, working as a television production assistant and writing the script of one of her well-known projects, “Little Woods”. In 2020 she was chosen to direct The Marvels, sequel to Captain Marvel, and will soon become the first African American woman to direct a Marvel film.

Laverne Cox

Laverne Cox is an American actress and producer born May 29th,1972. She is best known for her performance in the Netflix show “Orange Is The New Black,” which earned her three Emmy nominations. She is also an LGBTQ activist, with multiple awards for her activism. She was the first Black transgender woman to appear on the cover of Times magazine on May 29th, 2014.

Sandra Lindsay

Sandra Lindsay, originally born in Jamaica, moved to the U.S. in 1986. She became a nurse in Queens, New York, where she has worked for 26 years. In December 2020, she volunteered to become the first American to get the Covid-19 vaccine outside of a trial, saying she wanted to lead by example for her staff, and fight against biased treatment in medical communities.